How do i log in?
- Wait until the client connects to the server and asks you to log-in.
- Choose your institution. If you were invited to the FAUbox as an external person, choose “guests”.
- Internal users must login with their IdM username & password. External users must use the username they were provided in the invitation e-mail in combination with the password they set up upon receiving the invitation (you can find a more detailed guide for external users here).
Adding files and folders to your FAUbox
You may notice that FAUbox will create a new folder called FAUbox right under your user profile as soon as you logged in the first time. From there you are just a few clicks away of sharing or backing up your files. Let’s start synchronizing your first folder!
- Step 1: Create a new folder in FAUbox Folders.
- Step 2: Drag and drop some files into that new folder.
That’s it! The new folder you’ve just created and its content will now be synchronized to the server. All changes in this folder will be synchronized automatically in the future. The folder is also ready for sharing with others now.
What do I do now?
There are three ways to interact with FAUbox installation on your computer:
The FAUbox Folder
You probably found the FAUbox folders already, if you read this guide from the beginning. When you start FAUbox for the first time, it creates a folder for you on your hard drive called FAUbox. It’s like any other folder on your hard drive, however the FAUbox Desktop Client will automatically detect if you create a new folder or add files in it.
Whenever you move a file to one of these folders managed by your FAUbox Desktop Client, it will also appear on the web and on your other devices. No need for manual copying or uploading anymore, FAUbox takes care of everything for you!
Now if you’re wondering how to check the status of the folders you have created in your FAUbox folders, just continue reading the next section.
The FAUbox Desktop Client
Once started, the Desktop Client will show you the overall status of your files and folders.
- The circle with the checkmark means FAUbox is fully synced.
- The circle with the rotation means FAUbox is currently syncing.
- The circle with the hourglass means FAUbox is waiting to sync your folders, for example when the client waits for a connection to the web.
- The circle with with the exclamation mark means FAUbox is requiring your attention. Common reasons are that you are not logged in yet, your hard drive is full or your storage quota is exceeded.
- The circle with the two bars means FAUbox has been paused.
Not only you can see the overall status of all your folders here, but also a list of all folders managed by the FAUbox as well as their status. Simply click on Show Folders.
The FAUbox System Tray/Menu Bar Icon
The FAUbox system tray or menu bar icons is where you can check the current status of the synchronization. The same status icons which you can see in the desktop client are displayed in the system tray as well, so you can check the status without opening the client.
When you right-click the system tray or menu bar icon, you have a menu, where you can
- open the desktop client
- go to your folders on the FAUbox website
- go to your FAUbox folders on the hard drive
- stop all sync-processes
- see the latest changes
- change preferences
- set desktop client to finish syncing and to shut down automatically
- set desktop client to finish syncing and to exit automatically
- simply exit the desktop client
How do I share files with other people?
You can find a more detailed guide for sharing files and folders here.
There are two ways of sharing files with FAUbox :
- Send download links to quickly share files and folders.
- Send invitations to others to synchronize your folders using a desktop client.
To share a file or folder via download link:
- Log in to the web interface.
- Click on Folders.
- Click on a folder or browse inside of it.
- Click on the share icon next to a folder or file.
- A new prompt opens up. Click on Share link and put the e-mail address or IdM-user-name of the person you want to send an invitation to into the box.
To stop sharing links, click on links in the main menu and remove the files you want to stop sharing from the list.
To send an invitation to others to synchronize your folders using a desktop client:
- Start your client and login.
- Click on Folders.
- Click on a invitation icon next to your file.
- Insert the email address of the person you want to invite into the input field, select a permission to grant to that person and click on Add.
In the same place you can also manage existing members of your folders and their permissions.